The American Society of Plastic surgeons (ASPS) have published 2011 cosmetic surgery statistics report including both surgical and minimally invasive procedures.
The report provides comprehensive data for the year and presents, inter-alia, quick facts, cosmetic procedure trends, top five surgical and minimally invasive procedures for females and males, gender distribution, age group distribution, regional distribution, average surgery/physician fees, cosmetic demographics and others. The report is available in the web for any one seeking specific information.
The yearly reports have been coming out since 1992 creating a large bank of data, nationally applicable over a period of nearly 20 years. Apart from giving insights to the doctors, service providers and others about the work volumes and trends in the business, these data also have some utility as economic and social indicators.
Cosmetic procedures, like dental implants and vacations not being covered by insurance, are normally paid out of pocket. They are taken up during economic good times when people have spare money in hand and are shunned in bad times. So, looking at the rise and fall in demand of cosmetic procedures over a period of time, one can broadly assess the prevailing state of the economy and vice versa.
People go for cosmetic procedures to look good and feel good, both representing positive frame of mind and a level of confidence in their state of affairs. So, cosmetic procedure statistics represent a measure of spirit of the people and their confidence level.
One of the purposes of middle aged and older people going for cosmetic procedures, is to look young and to remain competitive with younger people in the job market and also socially. So, the statistics for middle aged and older people would indicate, to a degree, the pressures in the job market and social environment.
Some may say that relating such statistics to actual conditions on the ground in the above manner is too simplistic . That may be true to an extent but on the other hand, sometimes simple ways help people to understand and represent complex socio-economic behaviour qualitatively.
The report shows that total13.8 million cosmetic surgical and minimally invasive procedures were done in 2011 an increase of 5% over 2010 figure of 13.1 million. The total expenditure in 2011 was $10.4 billion, an increase of 3% over 2010 figure of $10.1billon. These cost figures show, people had more disposable money in 2011 than in 2010 indicating an economic up-turn. Greater number of cosmetic procedures indicates raised popular spirit and confidence level.
Females hold overwhelming 91% share of all cosmetic procedures done in 2011, but had 5% increase in number over 2010 figure. The males had 9% share of total, but had a slightly higher increase of 6% in number over 2010 figure. The minimally invasive procedures dominated by Botox injection treatment, show increase in numbers over 2010 figures – 6% for females and 8% for males.
The surgical cases rose by mere 2% for females and 1% for males showing that minimally invasive procedures are further gaining ground, being less painful, more affordable and requiring less downtime , though their treatment results last for a shorter time.
The statistics 2011 show that 40-54 age group took up 48% of the total cosmetic procedures and 55+ age group took up 26% share i.e a total of 74% share between these two age groups. The 40-54 age group had 6% increase in number in 2011 over 2010 figure while for 55+ age group, the number increased by 5%. The 74% joint share of these two older age groups and increase in their 2011 number by 6% and 5% respectively, show a great demand for cosmetic procedures from older people and their keenness to remain competitive in the job market and socially. These data indicate that there could be dearth of jobs in the market and lack of partners or spouses socially.