Micropen Microneedle Procedure Dallas
Microneedle technology uses a special instrument, called a Micropen, which improves the appearance of your facial skin via a no downtime procedure. After a few office-based treatments of 20-30 minutes each, your skin is smoother, has less wrinkles and less pigmentations. The result is a more youthful looking you.
Micropen Microneedling works by inducing collagen formation under the epidermis. Collagen is the substance that gives your skin more tone and volume. At the same time it resurfaces the superficial skin layer mildly. It thus can reduce fine lines and wrinkles, lighten abnormal pigmentations, and mildly tighten sagging skin. The procedure is a minimally-invasive non-surgical and nonablative procedure for facial rejuvenation.
The Microneedling procedure
After numbing the skin, a micro-needling device is passed over the skin. The procedure is virtually painless. Thousands of small punctures to a minimal depth are made over the skin which creates a controlled skin injury. This triggers the body to fill in these micro-wounds producing new collagen and elastin in the papillary dermis (the layer just below the skin surface).
In addition, this micro injury triggers new capillaries to be formed. These new tiny blood vessels feed the skin more nutrients and oxygen which makes it healthier. These processes are called neocollagenesis and neovascularization. Feeding the skin more and stimulating collagen results in the rejuvenation of the skin by improving the skin volume, texture, firmness and hydration.
A number of needling procedures are necessary to give adequate results. We recommend that you plan on having a treatment every six weeks for four treatments, and then a treatment every six to twelve weeks for maintenance.
Advantages of Microneedling
Microneedling is considered one of the safest skin rejuvenation procedures available. Unlike other procedures that result in downtime from work, Microneedling has no downtime. After you do the procedure, your skin is slightly reddened, but this can be covered up with makeup. You can go back to normal activities immediately.
It is a great alternative to other more invasive skin rejuvenation procedures that are associate with a recovery and downtime. Laser treatment, especially CO2 laser resurfacing, dermabrasion, and chemical peels, all can result in one to 4 weeks of downtime where you literally don’t want to be caught in public.
Moreover, Microneedling does not require deep sedation or general anesthetic as do these other modalities. The procedure can be performed with only topical anesthetics and is an office-based procedure. After several treatments, many patients fee the results are very similar to these modalities yet they didn’t have to experience their downtime.
Another advantage of Microneedling technology is that it offers a minimally invasive and painless route for the administration of drugs and medical skin preparations transdermally. For even better results, growth factors such as PRP (platelet rich plasma) can be administered that further stimulate formation of collagen, capillaries and other skin substances.
Benefits of Microneedling
- Performed in an office-based setting
- It takes only 20-30 minutes to do a procedure.
- Minimal to no downtime; resume normal activities immediately
- Reduced risk of hyperpigmentation and scarring (safe on darker skin tones)
- Safe on sensitive skin
- Cost-effective compared to other modalities such as CO2 resurfacing.
- No demarcation lines between treated and untreated skin areas.
- Can be done safely on difficult areas, such as near the eyes.
- No extensive damage to the epidermis, only small micro-injuries.
- Minimal to no side effects commonly
- Can be combined with other procedures such as fillers to improve sunken appearances
- Should be done regularly and continually over time for further skin maintenance
Regular treatments are the key
Because Microneedling procedures stimulate skin rejuvenation, treatments should be spaced six weeks apart as it takes that long for new natural collagen and capillaries to form. The recommendation is to do four treatments every six weeks to get a good rejuvenation start, and then do maintenance of treatments every three to six months afterwards.
The treatments work very well, but the aging process does continue to happen. You want to grow older, but you don’t want to look older. Thus, maintenance treatments are necessary to keep the skin looking youthful, smooth and full.
Post procedure care
The procedure is very well tolerated by patients. After each treatment, you see some dryness, scaling skin, redness and mild swelling. This lasts for several days or longer depending on how deep the needles must go for the specific problem treated.
Some recommended actions to do post procedure is to cleanse the skin afterwards with a good gentle cleanser, especially before bed every night. Use sun protection after the procedure whenever you have sun exposure. Always use medical grade skin products, such as Retinol, that help further prevent changes that can occur as we age and thus improve the results of the Microneedling procedure.
Results of Microneedling
A fresher, smoother skin (rejuvenation) may be seen as early as two weeks after the procedure. Maximal results are normally seen at around 6 weeks. As discussed above, repeat procedures every 6 weeks are recommended. After a few treatments on this regimen, maintenance is necessary – having a treatment every three to six months.
Scars are slow to respond and may take six to twelve months before you see adequate results. Other treatments may be necessary for adequate scar appearance. These could include excision of the scar or subcision, which are minor surgical procedures using a needle or small knife to remove the scar or to cut fibrous bands that are tenting the skin.
After adequate Microneedling treatments, you should see rejuvenated changes to your skin:
- Smoother skin and reduced pore size
- Reduced wrinkles and fine lines
- Reduced oil levels in the skin, so less acne outbreaks
- Enhance delivery and effectiveness of medical quality skincare creams
Side Effects from Microneedling
Generally, bad side effects just do not occur due to the safety of the procedure. Treated areas recover rapidly from skin needling. However, occasional side effects, which may include:
- Oozing of fluid may occur that can be washed off with gentle soap and water
- Swelling and erythematous (reddening) of the skin during the post-procedure recovery phase that are common but resolve within a few day usually.
- Postoperative skin infections that are rare and usually treated adequately with antibiotics.
- Recurrence of cold sores (herpes simplex) if you have a history of them. You should discuss this with us before the procedure so we can prescribe medications to help prevent these outbreaks.
- Milia, or small white spots that are collections of keratin trapped beneath the skin surface, which can be easily removed.
- Occasionally a flare-up of acne or rosaceae, but this is usually mild and can be treated.
- Hyperpigmentation or hypopigmentation, which are rare
Call our office today to set up an appointment for your Micropen Microneedling facial rejuvenation consultation. Call 817-399-8783.